The Historical Jesus
Could you prove that Jesus existed without using the Bible? Can you name three non-christian ancient authors who mention Jesus?
Related: Watch the first session of this course for free right here.
Christian study the Bible. Historians study history. Or so the story goes. Dr. Darrell Bock quickly puts this myth to rest in the very first lecture of this course.
Believers often feel like they’re gripping the edges of their faith like a rock climber. In this course you’ll learn just how reliable the Biblical picture of Jesus is. You won’t feel like you’re clinging anymore. By the end you’ll feel a renewed confidence. There’s no need to cower from skeptics.
Secularists try to pull Christianity into a neutral discussion of the facts. But the Christians keep winning so the secularists pull harder. Mix biased skepticism with a little time and you get denial. It’s like baking a cake.
- Non-Christian Sources and Historical Jesus Studies
- Three Quests for the Historical Jesus
- Three Models for Historical Jesus Studies
- Seven Criteria of Authenticity and the Burden of Proof
- Early Transmission of Jesus’ History
- Three Models of Orality in Historical Jesus Studies
- Sources and Their Critical Use in Historical Jesus Discussions
- The Nature of Second Temple Judaism in the Time of Jesus
- The Characteristic Jesus and the Ancient Bíos Genre
- The Infancy Material: Census, Virgin Birth, and John the Baptist
- The Ministry of John the Baptist
- The Kingdom of God and How it Works
- Translating Jesus: From the Gospels to Paul
- Second Temple Judaism and the Intensification of the Torah
- The Twelve Disciples and Jesus’ Relationship to Sinners
- Miracles and Exorcisms of Jesus
- The Messianic Secret of Jesus
- Jesus’ Intended Audiences
- The Demands of Being a Disciple of Jesus
- An Overview of the Final Week of Jesus’ Life
- How Jesus Saw Himself: Titles and Self Reference
- The Un-Triumphal Entry of Jesus
- The Cleansing of the Temple
- Controversies During Jesus’ Final Week
- The Last Supper
- The Jewish Examination of Jesus
- Jesus Before Pilate
- The Resurrection of Jesus